Gluten-Free Savory Veggie Waffles
These gluten-free savory veggie waffles are a healthy and light breafkast option that can be made fresh or prepped ahead of time. They’re packed with nutritious veggies and loaded with delicious flavor!
Are you looking for the perfect protein-packed, healthy breakfast? Well, I mean, aren’t we all? Lucky for you, these gluten-free veggie waffles are the answer to all your breakfast problems. They are low in carbohydrates, high in protein, and loaded with veggies, which helps keep you energized and focused all morning long.
You can make these tasty waffles fresh for Saturday morning breakfast. Or, prepare a double batch of waffles to freeze for the week to come. Once frozen, you have a quick, on-the-go week day breakfast. Simply, reheat them in a skillet, in the toaster, or in the microwave. Easy, peasy! And, don’t forget to complete these waffles with your favorite toppings. Try some of my personal favorites, including plain Greek yogurt, extra hot sauce, red pepper hummus, or homemade guacamole. What will you top off your waffles with?
How to Make Gluten-Free Savory Veggie Waffles
To make these savory waffles, it’s important to squeeze all excess water out of the zucchini. Zucchini is naturally high in water content, which would result in a soggy waffle. And no one wants soggy waffles. I recommend using a cheesecloth, clean dish towel, or paper towels to effectively drain all excess water.
The rest of the directions are super easy. Simply, combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl, then add the shredded zucchini and carrots. Once mixed, pour the batter into your waffle maker. In 8-10 minutes, you’ll have fluffy, tasty waffles ready to devour!
How to Store Gluten Free Savory Waffles
To keep leftover waffles for the days to come, store them in a glass Tupperware or freezer ziplock bag in the freezer. While in the freezer, the waffles will last 3-4 weeks.
To reheat and serve, place the waffles in your toaster on a medium setting. Alternatively, you can reheat them in the microwave or in a skillet over medium heat.
What You’ll Need to Make Gluten Free Savory Waffles
These are the main ingredients you’ll need:
- Zucchini: Zucchini is not only nutritious, but also a great addition to baked goods, like these waffles or zucchini bread.
- Carrots: Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, an antioxidant that tis best known for benefiting eye health and vision. But, it is also a great immune booster!
- Almond Flour: Almond flour is my favorite grain-free flour. It has a mildly nutty flavor, but it’s not overpowering.
- Egg: Eggs are packed with protein and healthy fats to keep you satisfied longer. They also help keep the waffle from crumbling on your plate.
- Parmesan or Nutritional Yeast: Parmesan is rich in flavor, making it a key ingredient. However, using nutritional yeast also creates a delicious, cheesy flavor.
- Hot Sauce: If you like a little spice, hot sauce is a must. Sriracha is my personal favorite!
- Dairy-Free: Use nutritional yeast instead of parmesan.
- Nut-Free: Use oat flour instead of almond flour.
Let’s get cooking! If you make this recipe I’d love to see it! Feel free to share on Instagram and tag me @shapedbycharlotte so I can see it.
Gluten-Free Savory Veggie Waffles
These gluten-free savory veggie waffles are a healthy and light breafkast option that can be made fresh or prepped ahead of time. They're packed with nutritious veggies and loaded with delicious flavor!
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 eggs + 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast*
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Few dashes hot sauce or sriracha (optional)
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- Squeeze out excess water from grated zucchini in a paper towel or clean, thin dishcloth.
- Whisk together next 6 ingredients in a small bowl. Add zucchini and carrot and stir to combine.
- Pour into a greased, pre-heated waffle maker and cook until golden, crisp, and eggs are set, about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
*Use nutritional yeast if dairy-free, paleo, or Whole30.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for reading Shaped by Charlotte! To see what other healthy and tasty recipes I’m whipping up in the kitchen, be sure to follow me on Facebook and Instagram!
Shaped by Charlotte LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases!